Monday, January 16, 2012

Mellow yellow

dress: vintage | cardigan: Target | belt, tights: thrifted | boots: gift

If I had to pick my one multipurpose, "default" outfit, this would probably be it. I've had this dress for a couple years now and it's no exaggeration to say that I've worn it pretty much once a week ever since then. In the beginning I didn't wear it as much because the length was a bit awkward for layering, but with the magic of a needle and thread, I transformed it into what has basically become my uniform! It has even gone all the way across the Atlantic Ocean with me. (It doesn't wrinkle. I can't overstate how amazing that is for a lazy iron-er like me.) That's how you know it's extra special.

Not that I ever would do this, but I could literally put together an entire outfit made of this color: a hat, dress, cardigan, belt, tights, shoes - even underwear! Yikes. Ah well...I suppose if I'm ever struggling to put together a Halloween costume, I could always go as mustard...




But enough about my yellow obsession! I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that all of the pieces of this outfit are staples of mine. I think everyone should have a big, comfy grandpa cardigan complete with elbow patches. It keeps me from freezing to death at work (yes, even in an office). The boots were a surprise birthday gift from my sister, who had no idea I had been wanting boots like these. Actually, that happened with most of my gifts this year. I didn't tell anybody what I wanted, but they all knew somehow. I'm a lucky girl indeed.

Do you have a "default" outfit? Does it have a special story behind it? I'm a sucker for stories. Blame my creative writing degree!




9 comments:

  1. <3 so cute!! i can see why it's the perfect little uniform, it seems to be the perfect weight, cut, and length to add layers upon layers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this dress is soo beautiful and the color looks great with your hair. :) not to mention i love those boots! killer.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! I love your hair...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute dress, love the contrast against the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely a great default outfit. You can't go wrong with a cute dress and cardigan. The boots are adorable with this too. And they're functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty! It looks like the fabric of that dress hangs beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness! LOVE that dress.
    and your hair! stunning lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is amazing! Yellow is definitely one of my favourite colours for clothes, and it goes really nicely with your hair too. Plus, an endless hurray for grey tights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look gorgeous in these pictures! I absolutely love your hair and the dress. (:
    My blog.

    ReplyDelete