Thursday, July 5, 2012

More adventurous

dress (worn as top), skirt: Forever 21 | belt: vintage | shoes: thrifted

Happy belated Fourth of July, American readers! This outfit ended up being kind of Fourth-of-July inspired, though it wasn't intentional, as this outfit is from several days ago. (Admittedly, I did recycle a version of this outfit for the actual holiday yesterday.) 

My Fourth was wonderfully low-key. I'll spare you the details of how hot it's been in Michigan - let's just say we're setting records - and because of the heat, Chris and I mostly stayed inside and were productive. It may not sound like the most fun way to spend a day off, but we had a great time! During breaks we ate good food and drank Summer Shandy and watched Pushing Daisies, all in the comfort of my air-conditioned house. He worked on his art, and we both worked on taking and editing pictures for a guest post I'm doing for Elanor's lovely blog, which will go up Saturday. I am so excited to share it with you! I won't tell you what it is, exactly, but I will tell you that it's food related...



Remember in my last post when I mentioned how hopeless I am at doing my hair? Well, I am setting out to conquer that particular stylistic weakness. It's a little bit tough - I absolutely hate the feeling of having hairspray in my hair (I don't even own any) and most tutorials call for lots of it. I'm still a long way away from my loose inspiration for this hairstyle/outfit. But I've had some good results, and have even been able to find some ways to work around my aversion to hairspray. This hairstyle was surprisingly easy, even if the bouffant is the world's smallest. Still, I'm wondering if there are tons of super-easy tutorials out there I've been missing out on. I'll have to investigate; it's time I got more adventurous!





I learned a few things during this photoshoot. #1:


You're never too mature to take ridiculous jumping pictures. 

#2:



Twirling is a must in any skirt that's not skin-tight. 

And #3:


John Lennon sunglasses are always appropriate, no matter the occasion.


American readers, I hope you enjoyed your holiday - did you do anything special? Everyone else - I hope you've been able to stay cool!


18 comments:

  1. seriously, how cute are you!? love the shape of that skirt & your sunnies are absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your hair looks perfect, your outfit also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just perfect. Love.

    www.teganiasthoughts.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this outfit is fabulous! Your hair is gorgeous and the combination of red and blue with stripes is my favourite thing ever! love it :)

    Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. very sweet blog, following you!
    hope you follow me back?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, I love the "things you learned" during this photo shoot.

    Cute look and glad your day was productive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute cute! Twirling is a must when you are wearing such a lovely skirt although it can difficult to capture a perfect pirouette on film. I have many crazy outtakes from trying to snap a pic of my mid twirl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That short is absolutely wonderful! Very cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about twirling! :)

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute outfit, the jumping picture is realle awesome :)

    - Jip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another flawless outfit post! Slowly but surely falling in love with your blog *_*

    ReplyDelete
  12. This outfit is gorgeous and classic. I love stripes with a nice black skirt. Your hair looks beautiful too! And those sunglasses are pretty much awesome. As is your jumping picture. I can never take enough jumping pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That red lipstick suits both you and your outfit perfectly, so many people don't wear the right shade that best compliments their skin tone but you hit the nail on the head. Gorgeous

    http://monstermagpie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg, you look so chic. Obsessed. Fabulous post, love. I've got a new outfit post. If you get a sec I'd love to hear your thoughts. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. your john lennon-esque glasses are adorable on you - and i love the twirling photos! your red striped blouse is awesome! and love this outfit overall on you - and your red lipstick is just beautiful.

    i love your blog :D by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely style!kisses from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like that mix of colors:)
    Very pretty outfit, the skirt is great

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, Laura you look incredibly pretty & I'm loving everything about this outfit!! And thanks so much for your Sherlock recommendation... I can't wait to check it out! Happy Friday, love! xo V

    ReplyDelete